Admittedly it’s been a while since I’ve used VirtualBox to host a database. I’ve been using a bunch of different cloud services.
I like to program on my main machine(host) and connect to the VM as if it were just a database server. I expected to have quite a few issues given how long it’s been since I did it this way. But really the only issue I had was making the connection from the Host to the VM.
This is how I configured my VM using VirtualBox 4.3.26 for Windows hosts.
If any of the steps need a better explanation, leave me a comment and I’ll clarify.
- Download the Database App Development VM from Oracle’s Pre-Built Developer VMs. Others should also work if you have a favorite.
- Import the .ova file into VirtualBox
- Add network adapter
- Configure Adapter
- Start the VM
- Enable network adapter inside the VM
- Open a Terminal inside the VM
- Test the connection on your host machine.
I’m using Oracle SQL Developer 4.0.3 (22.214.171.124.84)
If all goes well you should have a good connection.
Any questions please leave a comment.